Your Purpose Driven Life Blog

A Blog Dedicated Solely to Pastor Rick Warren's Life-Changing Book,"The Purpose Driven Life"

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Your Purpose Driven Life - Interview #3

Your Purpose Driven Life - Interview #3


From pastors.com / Articles / Breakfast with David Yonggi Cho and Rick Warren:


Breakfast With David Yonggi Cho And Rick Warren: A Conversation Between Two Innovative Pastors


David Yonggi Cho is pastor of the largest Protestant church in the world (Yoido Full Gospel Church in Seoul, South Korea - 750,000 members). It is a church known for its prayer ministry and for its use of Cell Groups to embrace new members and to develop lay leaders. Cho started the church as a plant over 30 years ago.

Rick Warren is pastor of Saddleback Valley Community Church in Lake Forest, California. Warren, through his Purpose Driven Ministries, has mentored over 100,000 congregations worldwide.

Recently, they both met in Southern California for a brief breakfast, and we recorded their conversation for you:


Warren: How do you stay fresh in the ministry?

Cho: When I first started my church in 1968, I would spend five hours every day praying - a kind of a spiritual warfare! In America you don't see much of the spiritual warfare, but in the Orient you can see the temples, and you must really fight if you want to be in a location because there will rise up opposition.

So I really depended upon prayer. The place where I went to plant my church - there were already shrines, and the priests from the shrines tried to intimidate me. They tried to burn up the tent churches. So to combat this, I spent five hours every day praying.

But now a days I usually spend three hours every day praying, and if I don't keep praying regularly in such a way then I can't maintain the fellowship with the Holy Spirit.

I believe ministers cannot maintain their ministries without the anointing of the Holy Spirit. For me, that means three hours a day to maintain my intimacy with the Holy Spirit.


Warren: What would you like to say to American Pastors?

Cho: Well, American pastors -- they have wonderful facilities and also higher education but usually American pastors can't pray more than 15 minutes -- so that is main trouble. I have always said you have everything -- finance, facilities, education -- but what you're lacking is the determination to pray (things) through. No prayer power!

Many people still do not know the real importance of prayer - but as a minister, you should know that prayer is the foundation of church growth and revival.

American pastors should be determined to pray. As you know, we have an early Morning Prayer meeting in Korea and many American pastors come. They asked me, "How do you motivate people to come in the early morning to pray?", and I say, First, you should motivate yourself!


Warren: What about the process of helping people grow in Christ? What is the process your church uses for moving a non-believer to maturity in Christ?

Cho: We have this kind of organization: When people first get converted, we ask them to the School of Conversion. They are taught for six weeks and given all of the materials. Then they're introduced to the Cell System in their area, and they are trained through the Cell Leaders.


Warren: How have you used technology to care for the needs of everyone in such a large church - to give personal attention when you have so many thousands of people?

Cho: We couldn't handle the situation without computers. We computerized everything in the church - every facet! We also make use of the Internet. Right now we are offering an Internet church where people participate in services through the Internet. I want to take people to the Internet.

Korea is very small - not like in America with a lot of space, so we can't enlarge our church buildings. Besides, every year we have 20,000 new converts in our churches, and we can't put them all in our church building or even our branch churches.

So now we have an Internet church and many of the young generation participate in the services at home. They send in their offerings on the Internet. They can do on-line giving.


Warren: How many of your house churches or cell groups use the Internet and watch your Internet services?

Cho: Most of all the house churches are using the Internet service now.


Warren: Is it done at a certain time and they just click to see it? Is it a live service?

Cho: (Right now) It's a live service, including Sunday and Wednesday. But also, when I want to give special instructions or teaching for the cell groups, then I will teach it through the Internet to the cells and apartments. This way I can give a special word or special instruction to the ministers and the cell leaders in that area.


Warren: It seems that the Internet cell group has far more potential for growth even more than Branch (satellite) churches?

Cho: THAT IS IT EXACTLY! - I always say to our people - this is the next generation ministry! Without the Internet we will fall far behind the wall. Many (in the) young generation won't come to church because of traffic and a lack of spaces in church.

But now we have an Internet broadcasting system with a fantastic program to attract them, and they can stay home. I say to the young people - don't come to church - just stay home and get your teaching through the Internet. And they also give us feedback about sermons and services.


Warren: Saddleback now has a service on the Internet, and we've also connected our small groups through GroupNet so they can change their cell group roster on the Internet, share prayer requests, etc.

Cho: I think that in a big country like America you would not be interested in that kind of thing. But we are so jammed that we have no way to keep growing except by going to the cyberspace!


Warren: Well, no matter how much land you have it eventually fills up. We have 120 acres and in the first 20 years my goal was to bring them in to our campus. But now, in the next 20 years, our goal is to Decentralize -- to send them out.

Cho: I have been following your ministry very closely for long time so I know everything that you are doing and mostly I've been very much impressed and amazed that you have built up this big church without having building costs - that is very amazing to us!


Warren: We wanted to prove to the world that you don't have to have a building to grow a church. We were running over 10,000 in attendance before we built our first building. So we know how to grow and minister without buildings. But what we are trying to learn now is how to do it through Internet into the homes.

Cho: This is it exactly! The next generation IS the Internet! Use the Internet - it is better!


Warren: Even if we had all the buildings we needed, one question is whether or not the next generation wants to worship in huge buildings!

Cho: We need both ministries together - a strong young church and a very powerful Internet service. I can make contact with you from Korea via the reaching you anywhere in the world. There are many American-Koreans participating through our church's ministry on the Internet . Through the Internet we can have worldwide fellowship and worldwide services!


Warren: You are already the largest church in the world with 750,000 members. So what is your vision for the next stage of your church?

Cho: It is exactly the Internet service! It is silly to build larger and larger church buildings. It is silly to spend more money on (branch church) buildings! You'll never have enough. I really believe this, and I have already announced to my people and ministers that the next step is to go into total cyberspace ministry because it is a real waste of money to build a larger buildings.


Warren: Just think of that money and how you could be using it for missions!

Cho: We have now already sent 500 missionaries around the world. An amazing thing is that two years ago, I was invited to have a meeting in Dubai. The Islamic police came and said - 'If you ever move out of the British Embassy area, you will be arrested.' But we had about 3,000 Islamics come to the meeting every evening and many Saudi Arabian kids. I said - 'How did you know that I was having meetings?

They said, "Through your Internet!" They said, "In Saudi Arabia we have no church - we can't own a Bible, but we can still read the Internet. We are watching your Internet service and you announced that you were coming to Dubai, so we took our vacations and came out!"

Now we are offering services through the Internet in Saudi Arabia - and worldwide in cyberspace - and no government can stop you! So that is the way to go!

Warren: What advice would you give to a brand new minister?

Cho: Number one - I would encourage him to have a very positive attitude in the ministry because he will meet many discouragements.

Second, he should have visions and dreams because visions and dreams are the vessels through which God works - These visions and dreams come from the word of God to you - and so it is very important to have visions and dreams.

Third, I would just want to tell him to really listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit -- very important -- very courageous. Because to start a successful ministry, one needs an adventurous spirit. God always enjoys such a person. That's the kind of person God uses.


Warren: I've read your books on Vision and Dreams - speak to pastors about how you hear the voice of the Holy Spirit?

Cho: The Holy Spirit always speaks through Bible Study. Even this morning, I was studying the Bible and praying before the Lord. You know we have a lot of head knowledge but very little bit of the heart knowledge. Many pastors try to speak to their people using the head knowledge instead of the heart knowledge. So to receive heart knowledge, we must pray very much and then study the Bible and wait upon the Lord.

Many people in prayer -- they are only talking to God in one way - but they should wait upon the Lord until God really soaks into their hearts. When I wait upon the Lord, His will comes like dew upon my heart.

Finally, I see the drop of the water on the leaves - the Spirit comes like dew on my heart and influences my decision. So through that I receive guidance from the Lord. So waiting upon the Lord is very important.

Many people think that it is a waste of time to wait upon the Lord - but it is not so if one waits upon the Lord, then the Spirit of the Lord comes and speaks quietly.


Warren: How have you raised up so many leaders in your church?

Cho: It is a main work to motivate the people. Through my experience, I have found that only 10% of the whole congregation will be motivated to work. So I would ask my Seniors to look for only an available person whom the Holy Spirit is already beginning to develop as a Cell Leader or as a Senior Cell Leader.

So we are all looking for people in every section of our ministry - always looking - and I ask my Seniors to pick up those people.


Warren: What do you look for? What do you tell them to look for?

Cho: Naturally, those people who are available, and learn very much by themselves, and who are very much concerned about the lost souls; a heart for evangelism. Then those people are candidates for Cell Leaders.


Warren: Of the people that come to Christ in you church - do most of them come to Christ through the worship service and then move into the Cell?

Cho: Mostly through the Cell. Many, many ministers have a misunderstanding of the Cell Ministry. They think the Cell Ministry is a Fellowship Group. I really train people to touch unbelieving neighbors. Most unbelievers feel awkward coming to church. Some of them are afraid of coming to church - especially a large church. So when they are invited to their neighbors, they don't feel scared. So - through the cell system - we invite neighbors.


Warren: Now that you are able to take your messages and other teaching into the Cell Groups through the Internet - it seems like the Cell Group Leader does not have to be as strong a teacher as before?

Cho: No, I make him a strong teacher because if they depend upon my message on the Internet, then they would never become a grown-up minister. You asked me a little while ago about any major mistakes in my life. For a little while, I thought that I had made a great mistake by supporting daily newspapers, the Christian daily newspapers.

We have over one million in circulation. But we have 11 pages of the Gospel of the Jesus Christ inside the newspaper and almost every journalist criticizes me, saying that I will pay because I put the Gospel in the daily secular newspaper. For more than 10 years every month I spent 3 million dollars cash for the survival of the newspaper.

And I really thought that I had a made a terrible mistake, but later I found out that this newspaper was influencing our government tremendously; most pastors speak from church pulpit and society will not listen, but the paper became our pulpit outside of church. It was read by congressmen, businesspeople - they all read and listened.

Now we are almost making a break even (financially) and that was my feeling of having made a mistake in my life. This is part of my local mission. Now we are really happy because through this newspaper we can really protect churches in an unbelieving world.


Warren: A personal question - during the years when God put that weakness on your life - when you were so weak -maybe 10 years?

Cho: I was raised up from my death bed from tuberculosis. Then in 1968. when I started my ministry - even that time I was very weak. Still I was having some T.B. fever, and I continued to have heart trouble. Whenever my heart gave me trouble, then I would lose strength, and I always thought that I was dying. So many people asked me why do you pray for the healing always?

Even now I pray for the healing - because to survive in those days I was preaching about divine healing -- to encourage myself. I couldn't continue my ministry. I encouraged myself by preaching, that's how I kept going.

Then in 1964 I fell, and the doctor told me to leave the ministry. He said, "With your condition of nerve and heart, you will never survive." So I really prayed to the Lord and said to the Lord, "This is my calling - if I leave my ministry, then I don't need to live. God would not answer me so particularly." Bit-by-bit -- more than 10 years -- God would put me in the thorny life.

After 10 years, God slowly began to touch me and heal me. So that was a great trial me in my life.


Warren: But in that time what encouraged you?

Cho: In 1964, when I was almost total infected, I had the choice of one of two steps - to delegate my ministry to lay Christians or keep up the ministry. But when I tried to delegate my ministry to the men, they would all make excuses saying that they were too busy, or not trained, or "You receive a salary not me." So I had to use women.

In Korean society - for long periods of time -- women had no power or voice in the church, and I began to use women. This was a big risk - but I had no choice - it was a step out in faith, and I had no alternative. Then the women made a tremendous contribution to church growth! Now all the Korean churches - even Catholic -- have accepted women.

When I come to Europe and America encouraging pastors to use women, I always receive a lot of opposition - especially in Europe.


Warren: Do you think American churches should be more open to the prayer for miracles?

Cho: I feel that the most American churches really don't believe in the miracles of God. The church is getting very institutionalized. But I tell you that by a new anointing the American church would start to believe the miracle of the nation of God's hand.

I think there are a great many devout that could be used today.

Secondly, I want to stress the importance of the use of women. Women are underused in the church. We use them on telephone - they talk constantly - they love to talk on the phone. Put Jesus in their mouth to talk!

So women are a tremendous strength in church because of culture - but in Western culture - you are afraid of using women. But once women were given the freedom to work as fellow leaders there was an explosion of Cell Leaders.


Warren: Can you please pray a prayer of blessing to the pastors that are reading this?

Cho: Heavenly Father, we thank you for many wonderful pastors and lay Christians in America. America is a strong foundation of Christianity through which the whole world received great blessings and benefits. We are now praying many, very rich blessings be upon each and every American pastor and Christian -- so that God may once again use America to send missionaries to the end of the world and to change the world for Jesus Christ. In Jesus Name I pray …

================================================
Rick Warren's book, "The Purpose Driven Life" is probably the best book I've ever read other than that Bible. I highly recommend you get your own copy. You can use this crazy-long link to get it: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0310205719/qid=1123889800/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-0728181-1958258?v=glance&s=books&n=507846.

I started this new blog recently to help promote Pastor Rick's awesome book. See his site at http://www.purposedrivenlife.com/.

God Bless you –
Chip Tarver
<><

http://www.FirstContactSecrets.com/
http://www.FirstContactSecrets.com/blog
http://www.FirstContactSecrets.com/publicity-blog/
http://www.Free-Targeted-Traffic.com/

(c)2005 - 2022 Chip Tarver and FCS

B2B Tips Blog
Chip Tarver's Articles
PR Tips & Public Relations Techniques
First Contact Secrets Business to Business Experts